Saturday, December 6, 2008

Lobsters

We're both teachers and sometimes the kids we work with come up with some great answers. For example, this week in my class we were learning all about the 'L' sound, as in the word 'Lobster'. Of course, we have to have a real live lobster visit us, which some thought was super gross as others relished in the fact that they got to hold this creepy looking crustacean. Needless to say, we had to learn about Lobsters. We discussed all of it's body parts like the antennae, the claws and legs (a.k.a. the 1st-5th appendages), the abdomen, and I tried to teach them the word cephalothorax but that didn't go over so well....you'd think 4 yr. olds could pick up on 5 syllable words like that -- apparently that's a little on the challenging side. Anyways, we also talked about where lobsters come from and this is where the lesson gets interesting.
I pose the question, "Where do Lobsters come from?" This is what I get .....
"The Grocery Store!!"
"My mom sometimes cooks them at my house!"
"I ate a lobster before!"
and to top it off one of them came up with the ingenious answer of....
"Red Lobster!"
(finally one of the kids told us that they come from the ocean ...but by then it didn't really matter)
**picture to come soon! :)

2 comments:

Aditi Sharma said...

It sounds a like fun job but i am sure it requires a lot of patience.
I love the "Red Lobster" bit.

It was endearing!

Newhart Notations said...

When are you going to post pictures of the hermit crab and the lobster?